Botanical Terms Used in Describing Leaves, page 2
FormatIndia ink on 4-ply cream board.
Dimensions36.8 cm W x 55.1 cm H (Item)
29 cm W x 46 cm H (Platemark or image size)
Date createdJuly 1944
Sheet 2 of 4. Glossary of botanical terms and illustrations used for describing leaves, created to accompany "Botanical Terms Used in Describing Leaves" article featured in Morton Arboretum Bulletin of Popular Information. Illustrations depict various over-lapping leaf silhouettes with additional small sketches of objects to explain each shape in a column on the left, and a glossary of terms describing the leaves in a column on the right. Descriptive text adhered to the board includes details of leaf shapes.
Header: A LEAF SHAPE IS CALLED:
Leaf shapes depicted from top to bottom, left to right:
- Silhouette of oblong shaped leaf with sketch of radio tube under stem
- Silhouette of oval shaped leaf with sketch of tennis racket under stem
- Silhouette of ovate shaped leaf with sketch of lit candle under stem
- Silhouette of obovate shaped leaf with sketch of light bulb under stem
- Silhouette of elliptic shaped leaf with sketch of an eye at stem
- Silhouette of cordate shaped leaf with sketch of a playing card at stem
- Silhouette of peltate shaped leaf with sketch of an umbrella under stem
- Silhouette of reniform shaped leaf with sketch of a jelly bean under stem
- Silhouette of deltoid shaped leaf with sketch of a garden trowel under stem
- Silhouette of halberd-shaped leaf with sketch of a fish hook under stem
- Silhouette of lanceolate shaped leaf with sketch of a carrot under stem
- Silhouette of oblanceolate shaped leaf with sketch of a dart at stem
- Silhouette of spatulate shaped leaf with sketch a canoe at stem
- Silhouette of linear shaped leaf with sketch a butter knife at stem
Appeared InMorton Arboretum Bulletin Of Popular Information, Vol. 19, no. 7, p. 26.