Formatblack marker, black ink, watercolor on illustration board
Dimensions34.8 cm W x 55.9 cm H (Item)
Primarily textual teaching aid depicting Arboretum landscape. This material describes locations of sites where roses were obtained for the Old-Fashioned Rose Garden.
Header [framed by illustrations of rose bushes, one red and one pink]: Early Settlers Brought ROSES from the East often in covered wagons
Text and illustrations from top to bottom:
- [Depicted in stylized scroll] The Record is in our Old-Fashioned Rose Garden / When this garden was started plants were obtained from old settlers near the Arboretum.
- THREE OLD-TIMERS: [Illustration of three types of roses, from left to right]
- Harrison's Yellow
- moss rose
- Cabbage rose
- These three and other old-time roses were obtained from:
- 1. The Jones Homestead in Warrenville, to which the Jones family came from New York State in 1845 in a covered wagon.
- 2. The old Peaslee home in Naperville, to which the Peaslee family came, from West Virginia, 60 years ago.
- 3. The Blanchard home in Wheaton. The roses were moved from Cincinnati, Ohio, to Galseburg, Illinois; then from Galesburg to Wheaton.
- 4. The property given by President Jonathan Blanchard, first president of Wheaton College, in 1890, to his daughter.
- 5. The oldest house in Wheaton, (corner of Naperville Rd. and Roosevelt) built by Warren Wheaton, who came from Connecticut in 1837, and built the house in 1847.
- and others