Rights & User Restrictions
Copyright statement:

Copyright restrictions applying to use or reproduction of this image are available from the Sterling Morton Library, The Morton Arboretum. For more information, please visit our ABOUT section or complete and submit this form.

Watts, May Theilgaard

Arboretum Landscape Teaching Aid Series: Indian Trails and Villages


Identifier
3.19508
Format
black marker and watercolor on illustration board
Digitization Status
Digitized
Reproduction:
Original
Dimensions
34.8 cm W x 55.8 cm H (Item)
Extent
1 sheet
Type
Drawing
Date created
mid 20th century
Description
Primarily textual teaching aid depicting Arboretum landscape. This material describes a Native American chipping station and village located on what later became The Morton Arborteum grounds. It also includes a map showing locations of other Native American sites and trails throughout the Chicagoland area. An arrowhead wrapped in plastic is still attached on the left, while a second arrowhead appears to be missing on the right. 

Header: INDIANS had a chipping station and a village here ----

Text and illustrations from top to bottom:
  • [Depicted in stylized scroll] [Arrowhead wrapped in plastic] THE RECORD many arrowheads many chips of flint and chert shaped tomahawk heads [plastic wrapping]
  • Map: INDIAN TRAILS AND VILLAGES OF CHICAGO AND OF COOK, DUPAGE AND WILL COUNTIES, ILLS. (1804) AS SHOWN BY WEAPONS AND IMPLEMENTS OF THE STONE-AGE / COPYRIGHTED 1900 & 1901 ALBERT F. SCHARF. / - INDEX - [with map symbols]
    • INDIAN VILLAGES (NUMBERED) [teepee symbol]
    • MINOR INDIAN VILLAGES [triangle with "x" at top]
    • INDIAN CAMPS [triangle]
    • CHIPPING STATIONS [inverted triangle]
    • PRINCIPAL INDIAN TRAILS LETTERED AND NUMBERED [line]
    • PORTAGE [concave depression]
    • SPRINGS [inverted "J"]
    • HEIGHTS AND SIGNAL STATIONS [cross]
    • INDIAN MOUNDS [circle with dot in center]
    • MOUND BUILDERS TRAIL [mound symbol]
  • Text at bottom of map: AN ARCHEOLOGICAL MAP OF CHICAGO AND VICINITY / This map, the work of Albert F. Scharf, is reproduced by the courtesy of Mr. Scharf and the Chicago Historical Society.
  • Text below map:  Arboretum in green
Language
English