FormatPen and india ink on 4-ply board.
Dimensions25.5 cm W x 29.5 cm H (Item)
Sketches of plans for the north-facing end of the Sterling Morton Library Reading Garden showing a wall, tables and chairs, book tree and pool. Also includes suggestions for planting.
Sketches divided into 3 sections:
Section 1: Sketch of sitting area with roof along north-end garden wall
- Above left side of roof: An inconspicuous prism to throw a rainbow into the garden occasionally
- Above chair: gray painted aluminum
- Next to pole for roof support: iron
- Next to right side of roof: The white pine outside the wall has wind chimes somewhere in its branches
- Above side view of roof sketch: slate (or tin) wall
- Below sketch of sitting area: The north-facing end of the Reading Garden??
Section 2: Sketch of tree trunk with book shelves wrapped around top portion
- Far left of the book tree sketch: The sunny wall at the other end could have a wall fountain, and a mobile hung from a tree to make interesting moving shadows, - or espaliered pears
- Just below book shelves on the left: sectional to allow for tree growth
- To the right of top portion of tree (above shelving): Not a honey locust Not a pin oak [crossed out]
- Next to top right of shelving: concealed shades for rain
- Next to bottom right of shelving: hooks for shades
Section 3: Sketch of entire garden space including locations of all garden features and plantings
- Far top left corner: pine
- Top left next to bench and table: ferns
- Far bottom left corner: sweetbrier roses to send the smell of new summer applesauce into the garden
- Next to bottom middle planting area across from pool: Poison Ivy [crossed out] Euonymus planting to keep people away from the opening, and for fall color
- Above top right corner: Plantsmen tile strip all around wall